Monday, March 11, 2013

Stating the obvious

The other day I was waiting at the train station when a railway employee came in and made an announcement to everyone about the train. I had a question about the arrival time so  asked her in Swedish as she walked past. She stopped to listen to me and then asked me if I wanted her to speak in English. What ??? I'm getting really tired of Swedish people doing that now. My standard reply to them now, as it was to this lady, is (again in Swedish) "No, I already know what English sounds like". The thing is that I know they understood my original question because, as this lady did, they then proceed to give me the correct answer in Swedish. So why all the fun and games about English ? It's not being helpful or kind. It's saying very clearly to me "You sound weird". And that's just not nice to hear from someone. Here's a newsflash for all you helpful Swedes. I've spoken English for 48 years. I think I've gotten pretty good at it over the years. I don't need to hear your attempt at it. If I had wanted to speak English do you not think that I would have opened with it in the first place ? One day the message might get through.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same feeling also. I know that my Swedish is not good and that I have an accent but if I try to speak Swedish (which is a huge effort for me since I am very self conscious about it) could you please make an effort to understand me? I hate it if they answer me in English since this means that I was understood...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I think it's just plain rude and all it accomplishes is to make you more self conscious that you clearly sound wrong. Like we didn't already know that ? I've found that if I continue in Swedish, they can understand what I'm saying, so why make a big deal out of it in the frst place when we weren't ? Nice people, but.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is funny! I think it's extremely polite and sensitive from their part. I mean, yes I get why it seems annoying to some, but what about those who ARE insecure about their Swedish skills?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, nothing helps an insecure feeling more than having your insecurity pointed out to you. I do take your point though, I'm sure it's (for the most part) intended to be helpful. The effect however, and that's what is most important, is often not helpful. I think that if one wants to be polite, one should follow the theme set by the person starting the conversation and not to try to take over the conversation in their own fashion. That's being a little disrespectful. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete