Thursday, September 3, 2009

The things we do for Love

It seems like a lifetime ago now. But it was in fact just 3 years ago this November since we were married on that lovely beach in Vanuatu. In many ways I guess that was a lifetime ago. For the both of us. Both of us casting out the misery of our previous lives. The day itself was everything we had hoped for. No family around us, but that was the way of things, with everyone scattered to the corners of the globe. Our guests were people we had met a few days earlier on holiday, our witness was the local village chief. But we were there, and frankly, no one else mattered. For our first anniversary we flew to Sydney, Australia, and had a wonderful week there just exploring the sights together. The next year, being last year, was a little more difficult, having just arrived to Sweden. The date coincided with a family gathering out of town, so we called that our celebration also. This year we have decided to take ourselves off for 5 days to Milan. Because we can. Nothing to do with the potential to restock the shoe closet, I'm sure. Anyway, my dearly beloved, lord bless her, has decided to gift me ( us ) with 2 tickets to view a football match at the magnificant San Siro stadium in Milan. She really is too sweet. The tickets cost her 600 kronor, which I felt rather guilty about. 600kr works out to around 50 British pounds, 85 US dollars, 60 Euros, or 125 NZ dollars. Not a bad pressie, if I may say so myself. Now being trapped like a rat, as I was, I found myself saying "and what would you like to go and see while we are in Milan ?". Yes, know what you're all going to tell me, that was my first mistake. As it happened, the love of my life rather fancied the idea of attending a concert at La Scala theatre. I must confess that I did think it was rather cool at the time also. So, just to reinforce that I truely was the man of her dreams, and nothing was too good for my sweetness, I vowed to move heaven and earth to get us two kick arse tickets to the ballet at La Scala. On reflection, I should have known better than to challenge heaven and earth. I put this down to hormones. There's a saying that one can buy anything, for a price. I think that saying was coined in Milan. We have two tickets to the ballet at La Scala. Oh yes we do. In fact, I thnk that I may have just bought the place. Two tickets for a 2 hour performance of something I suspect I will not understand, are mine for the princely sum of 300 Euros. In real money terms, that is 3100 SEK, 430 US dollars, 260 British pounds, and 630 Kiwi bucks. I didn't pay that much for my first car !! By my reckoning, I now own those two gold plated, jewel encrusted, limited edition, theatre seats. So the first things going into the suitcase is a long handled screw driver and a pair of pliers. Those chairs are coming home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment